..

Attention European Union Law Users: There are cookies on this blog: Blogger and Goggle maybe more. I hope this meets the need to inform users of this site.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

I Got Some Gold From Panning. How do I Measure it?

original photo from Photoxpress

How do I figure the weight of gold? What is a troy ounce? HELP!

Okay, everyone is learning here. Here is what I know. I’ll just cover a little at a time until we have this business of gold weight conquered.

1.      troy ounce is approx. 10% heavier than our “regular” (avoirdupois) weight
2.      troy pound  has 5,760 grains (regular weight has 7,000 grains per pound)
3.      24 grains equals 1 pennyweight (a grain is .0648 grams  and 1 gram is 15.432 grains)*
4.      20 pennyweights equal 1 troy ounce

 In the three systems of measurement the weight of the grains are the same. THAT HELP?

* There are 3 systems of measuring 1. avoirdupois, regular, 2. troy 3. apothecaries, (apothecaries and troy the same)

SO YOU NEED 480 GRAINS OF GOLD TO EQUAL ONE TROY OUNCE.
More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment