original photo from Photoxpress
How do I figure the weight of gold? What is a troy ounce? HELP!
Okay, everyone is learning here. Here is what I know. I’ll just cover a little at a time until we have this business of gold weight conquered.
1. troy ounce is approx. 10% heavier than our “regular” (avoirdupois) weight
2. troy pound has 5,760 grains (regular weight has 7,000 grains per pound)
3. 24 grains equals 1 pennyweight (a grain is .0648 grams and 1 gram is 15.432 grains)*
4. 20 pennyweights equal 1 troy ounce
In the three systems of measurement the weight of the grains are the same. THAT HELP?
* There are 3 systems of measuring 1. avoirdupois, regular, 2. troy 3. apothecaries, (apothecaries and troy the same)
SO YOU NEED 480 GRAINS OF GOLD TO EQUAL ONE TROY OUNCE.